Wednesday, January 25, 2017

This Time of Year

This time of year (of course) is usually the slow time of year, for all things Baseball, even in APBA Baseball. Many of us our getting prepared for our annual APBA card or APBA computer leagues, if that being current players or retro league players.

It's also the time of year that the new inductions to the MLB Hall of Fame happen as well, and each year always sparks quite a few debates. For me & my brother Chris, we always seem to send emails on plenty of information to each other about a many deal of players, and I love the fact that we are usually on the same wavelength. We often question today's sports writers and where their thought-process (or lack of) was in their decision-making when it came to the Hall; It raises many questions when a pitcher like Greg Maddux was actually left off a single ballot... Seriously, what is this writer's name, and what's his address again?

No, no... don't worry, I will not be hunting down some writer... personally, he's not worth my time.

This is, also the time of year, that I start getting my Greater Michigan APBA Baseball Tournament Team, ready to go (by doing exhibitions with them) for the upcoming tournament on March 5th. I am on the fence though, I'm a bit superstitious with things, when it comes to what works... Last year, I played the 1993 Atlanta Braves, but had no chance to do any exhibitions for them, due to the fact that I realized that my 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995 & 1947 APBA sets were actually still in my folks' attic, at my folks' house in Kingsley.

I dug & dug for the 1993 Atlanta Braves with no luck... I swear that I may have found a deep space wormhole in their attic, where things simply disappear -- hopefully this means, at worst, that there is some alien life form rolling 66's with my old APBA collection.

My friend, Pastor Rich Zawadzki (Host of the GMABT) came through & provided me with his 1993 Atlanta Braves. He lent me the team at the Chinese Restaurant in Jackson, and on that night, I played a scrimmage against (my other friend) Ken Schulz, between my Braves & his 1971 Pirates team. I won with a game-winning HR by Sid Bream, who once again ripped the hearts out of Pirates fans.

The next day I woke up at the hotel, feeling like it was MY day, it felt like the morning of the day of my wedding... Yes, two different things indeed, I just knew regardless it was going to be a great day. Everything that happened that day, ran magically, I started 4-0 & even after a butt-whooping that I suffered in the hands of the 1981 Milwaukee Brewers, I still felt that it was my day....

Anyways...

... back to the story at hand, do I go about things the same way? Overall... no.

For one thing, I have my current GMABT right in my possession with the 1901 Pittsburgh Pirates; This year's tournament's theme is 'Deadball Teams' between 1901-1919. I will be the first to say that I don't know how to play 'Deadball Teams' to the same degree as Scott Fennessey (who won the 2013 Chicagoland World Series - Fall Edition). So with that in mind, I may do plenty of exhibitions to get this team rolling.

I do have a Deadball book on the National League teams, and will be doing the research available to prepare my team strategically...

Regardless, it will be a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...