Tuesday, February 12, 2019

I'm Still Alive


Wow! It's been two plus weeks since my last post, with plenty to do in a short month.

For those that don't know, I have been on weight-limits while working with a sprained left shoulder. The injury has been very frustrating. I initially hurt it around December 4th, but didn't go to the doctor until mid-January, in which I got the diagnosis for the injury. During the time of December 4th through mid-January, I was still unloading food products from our truck deliveries.

Since the diagnosis, I have been off truck duty and am not allowed to carry anything over 10 pounds. Unloading trucks for another month after the initial injury may have hindered my shoulder even more, I should not have put off the injury, while I need to remind myself that I am 42, not 24.

I have not been happy with the progress of the left shoulder over the past 3 weeks, while I have another appointment tomorrow, in which I am going to request an X-ray while getting some blood work done.

The good news is that I'm still alive. Plus I have a wonderful, supporting wife, a roof over my head, and provided heat to keep me warm as I sleep during the awful cold weather in the mid-west.

Now onto some of the upcoming posts and projects...

2019 Boys of Summer APBA Baseball League

We are scrambling and putting things together in a hectic off-season. Our draft will be done differently this season via email, instead of a one-day, live draft. The reigns of the league was handed back to me, after Brad Stark (BoS Committe / Owner of the Portland Microbrewers) stepped down after doing an outstanding job the previous season.

The 2019 BoS Draft starts in early March, while the season will kick off sometime in April.

There has already been a few trades, while my Traverse City Panthers have put starting pitcher Corey Kluber on the trading block. He will only be traded though if the deal was right. The Panthers are retooling a bit, as we fell short in the National League Championship Series this past season, after owning the entire league's best record, going 107-55.

The Panthers' Giancarlo Stanton was on pace for 60+ homers at one point, but tailed off badly in the final month, watching real-life teammate Aaron Judge of the Holland Hitchhikers, pass on by & break the league's single-season HR mark (formerly set by Chris Davis) -- setting the mark at 58.

The Portland Microbrewers won their 2nd World Series, while reaching their 4th in 6 seasons. Portland became the 2nd BoS franchise to win two titles, joining the Fairgrove Tigers.

The league is entering its 7th season, this Spring.

2018-2019 UAL Season Update

I still have to play all my 15 home games this month for the Traverse City Fighting Tigers (UAL). We had a rough 7-8 home stand during January, and are looking to rebound in what should be a easier month for us, I believe. We were tied at the top of the National League standings and our division standings entering January, but now trail by 4 games in each... but don't worry, we still remain in strong position for qualifying for the playoffs.

The Fighting Tigers are 68-42 (.618) while on pace for 100 wins. My best player, Jose Altuve leads the entire UAL (all 24 teams) with 157 hits, 36 stolen bases & a .359 batting average; Altuve's .359 average is 19 points higher than the next best hitter, Dayton's Avisail Garcia. Altuve also has a .949 OPS, ranking just outside of the league's top ten.

The league uses APBA cards from the 2017 MLB Season.

1987 MLB Season Replay

I can't remember if I mentioned this in a previous post or not, but my brother Chris and I, will be replaying the 1987 MLB Season. He has allowed me to play the American League, while he will play the National League side. I have only done team replays such as the 2007 Detroit Tigers' season while I am replaying the 1981 Tigers & 1981 Reds in another replay. This will be a lot of fun, we will push and support each other, while I know we can do this.

We will be starting this sometime in the Spring.

2019 Greater Michigan APBA Baseball Tournament

The upcoming tournament will take place on March 2nd (Saturday), which is hosted by Pastor Rich Zawadzki. There will be 60+ contenders, playing teams from the 1940-1968 period (pitchers hit). I will be bringing the 1940 Detroit Tigers, I have yet to play some exhibitions with them, to get them ready for March. I was lucky enough to have won GMABT III back in March 2016, with the 1993 Atlanta Braves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...