Saturday, September 16, 2017

APBA Announces Greatest Teams of the Past IV!



Great news in the APBA Baseball world...
APBA has announced the release of Greatest Team of the Past IV!


Here are the National League teams representing this latest set...
  • 1919 Cincinnati Reds
  • 1922 New York Giants
  • 1930 St. Louis Cardinals
  • 1935 Chicago Cubs
  • 1948 Boston Braves
  • 1950 Philadelphia Phillies
  • 1962 San Francisco Giants
  • 1974 Los Angeles Dodgers
  • 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates
  • 1980 Houston Astros
The American League Teams...
  • 1911 Philadelphia Athletics
  • 1921 New York Yankees
  • 1922 St. Louis Browns
  • 1933 Washington Senators
  • 1948 Cleveland Indians
  • 1959 Chicago White Sox
  • 1961 Detroit Tigers
  • 1969 Minnesota Twins
  • 1978 Boston Red Sox
  • 1993 Toronto Blue Jays
I'm really excited about the news for several reasons...

First off, it's been long overdue, the wait that is... plus now there is brand new excitement for this hobby, I think APBA has done a great job of late, in being active on plenty of new APBA products such as APBA Go, the yearly playoff team sets, reintroducing All-Star Team sets, and now the new GTOP IV & with all the recent activity by the company, I have a feeling that GTOP V may not be far around the corner.

Source, my friend Pastor Rich Zawadzki noted: 14 of the 20 single teams [from this set] have been out of print for a long time; Printed by APBA previously in the old World Series set (1921 Yankees & 1930 Cardinals) or GTOP (1911 A's, 1919 Reds, 1922 Giants, 1922 Browns, 1933 Senators, 1935 Cubs, 1948 Indians, 1948 Braves, 1950 Phillies, 1959 White Sox, 1962 Giants & 1974 Dodgers).

Only the 1961 Tigers, 1969 Twins, 1978 Red Sox, 1979 Pirates, 1980 Astros & the 1993 Blue Jays are new to the single teams fold. 

Rich has been instrumental in helping me acquire plenty of teams in the past, when he would notice them on eBay, he would message me the link. I have since put together a pretty solid APBA teams collection, nothing quite like his impressive collection though. 

Just recently I have tried to acquired the long sought-after 1922 Browns team, along with the 1930 Cardinals, 1950 Phillies & 1959 White Sox off of an APBA Facebook Group member who posted those available teams among other teams, I messaged him, also tagged his name, and got no responses... So naturally at the time, I was bummed out.

Then to read this morning that these teams are part of the Greatest Team of the Past IV, I was thrilled by this news.

Teams of GTOP IV that I already own...

  • 1911 Philadelphia Athletics
  • 1919 Cincinnati Reds
  • 1948 Boston Braves
  • 1948 Cleveland Indians
  • 1962 San Francisco Giants
  • 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates
This doesn't mean though, that these new GTOP IV sets might not be different, usually with reissued team sets, not to mention the fairly new 'K' and 'R' strikeout ratings, you will definitely get some new modifications. I do also remember that the GTOP sets, now also have the Master Card ratings on the cards as well... so I'm still thrilled to get these modified duplicates.

I'm pretty excited about this, and you should be too...
$40 for 20 great teams, to me that's quite a deal, I hope this means more GTOP sets to come, in the near feature.

Way to go, APBA!

Here is the link to the APBA Baseball store...

1 comment:

  1. Geez, you should have let me know you were wanting GTOP teams. A few months ago I gave all of mine--about 40 teams or so--to a friend who was card-starved. His reaction was enough to warm my stony little heart for weeks. I had bought them all back when 50's and 60s seasons were not available, and GTOP's were the only way to get the teams from my childhood. Anyway, I could have pulled out a few of them that you needed. Ah well, now they are available again, and that's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...