Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Tigers Upgrade Infield (1915 Tigers)

During my previous post on this subject (1915 Detroit Tigers), I mentioned that my 3B, SS, 2B positions have been a bad case of musical chairs.

A day after writing that post, my off-season 2B acquisition Jack Barry, who has yet to play a single out for me this season, got some bad news, a setback to his injury with an additional 5 months to repair that torn back muscle with surgery.

So I went out and acquired 2B Bill Wambsganss from the St Louis Cardinals in exchange for RP Bernie Duffy, 3B/1B Mike Mowrey, RP Allan Travers & RF Dan Costello.

The Yankees came a calling, offering SS Donie Bush straight-up for RF 'Gloomy' Gus Williams, who has been a huge favorite among Detroit fans. The problem is, although I needed a serious upgrade at short, I had no right fielder or outfielder for the most part to replace Williams, so I asked if their RF Harry Wolter was available & he was, than I figured why not ask for some catching depth, so I added C Otto Miller to the mix. The Yankees' GM was more-than-willing to make the deal, so it was a done deal.

Real-life Tiger fans would recognize Donie Bush as a real-life member of the dead ball era Tigers.

Our team has now upgraded all three areas (we upgraded at third earlier in the week with the acquisition of Milt Stock) while we are feeling much better about this season's chances and the progress of the franchise moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...