Monday, October 7, 2019

Rewriting History


Influenced by two books that I own in 'Leveling the Field' and '100 Years of Baseball', I decided to once again turn to Out of the Park Baseball 20 to help me with this quick sim.

I will still be using real transactions and real lineups & rotations for this, but with a twist...

I am going with the division setup that was presented in G.Scott Thomas' 'Leveling the Field', which means there will be American League Championship Series and National League Championship Series taking place, which could bring a different result for the final team standing in each season. Although these teams will be playing mostly like they did in each season, there may be a surprise team from time to time shake things up.

I also put heavy emphasis on this simulation that the players stats rely heavily on the season that is represented, meaning that Babe Ruth in 1921 should hit close to 60 home runs like in real life. I usually do the three-year period, with these projects, where the player plays like they were playing in that three-year window. I may still do that in another separate project. I will also do a separate project in future that will break the color line early, watching Negro Leaguers getting a chance earlier on... but once again that's a future project.

I know what you are thinking, "What a nerd!"....
Yeah...
Sure, I'll take that.

The early division formats will be as follows...
  • A.L. East: Boston (A), New York (A), Philadelphia (A) & Washington.
  • A.L. West: Chicago (A), Cleveland, Detroit & St. Louis (A).
  • N.L. East: Boston (N), Brooklyn, New York (N), Philadelphia (N).
  • N.L. West: Chicago (N), Cincinnati, Pittsburgh & St. Louis (N).
These division formats will stay until the Boston Braves move to Milwaukee in 1953, which the Braves will move to the N.L. West, while the Pittsburgh Pirates move to the N.L. East Division.

The St. Louis Browns will move and become the Baltimore Orioles in 1954, while staying in the A.L. West. The Orioles will switch divisions in 1955, as the Philadelphia Athletics move to Kansas City, and the A.L. West. 

The biggest relocated teams would be the Brooklyn Dodgers & the San Francisco Giants, of course in 1958. With these relocations, both the Dodgers & Giants will move to the N.L. West, while the Cincinnati Reds and the Milwaukee Braves move to the N.L. East. The Braves who moved back to the N.L. East, must feel the most bounced around of the whole entire bunch.

Then of course comes 1961... but we'll stop right there for now. I believe you all got the point.

I of course will be noting these division moves once again, while the project plays out.

I have already did sims from 1901-1920, it's very interesting the results that have already come in, with a couple Cindarella teams sprinkled in. I can't wait to start sharing these results in good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...