Monday, February 2, 2015

February Fun


Plenty of things happening in February as I prepare for the 2015 MWBL Draft on February 21st. We are also approaching our All-Star Break in the Boys of Summer APBA Baseball League.

During this month, I will be doing some final analyzing & scouting for the MWBL. I'm pretty excited about the draft strategy that I plan to go about with -- so excited that I plan to write a blog piece that involves my strategy going in, my thoughts, and who I plan to take (of course it won't be released until after the draft), and then I will post in that same article about the results & if everything went as planned. Should be very exciting, of course I already reported a couple weeks back on the current state of the Traverse City Crusaders, in case you missed it here it is: The "Crusaders Report".

I'm confident that my team will be quite better after the draft, we will still be among the bottom-half of the league -- but compared to a year ago, we are light years better, and I feel we might actually be ahead of schedule on our rebuild. I do wish that I had more uncarded spots for prospects (meaning any player is available that has yet to make their MLB debut, from high school, college, international, or players in the minors) -- I only have four spots, but at the same time, this draft may have more actual MLB players that could help the roster than any draft this league has seen for some time. The draft also has a lot of good pitching, every team and owner is aware of this as well, and not to give anything away, but I would be perceived as a fool if I was not drooling over some of the pitching out there as well. Remember, I do have three 1st Round Draft Picks, including the top pick overall. My 4th overall pick, is the 30th pick (in early 2nd Round) -- so four picks inside top 30.

I have done things differently in my draft strategy, I usually order Baseball's version of the Bible "Baseball America's Prospect Book" for all things prospects. I decided, due to the fact that I only have four uncarded spots, and the fact that the wife and I have only X-amount of dollars -- plus all the online material, teams' blogs & a few cheaper magazines, that I still can get all the cramming-in process done through these outlets. I feel as confident as I ever had, in any draft, going in, and to be honest I still have more players to analyse and take notes on. I would say, in the past I would compare myself to Tony Gwynn or Greg Maddux when it comes to doing my research on scouting & preparing for drafts -- I'm relentless, and I will even add guys to the list, that I will label as "late-fliers" that probably be left off most people's lists. My team is a team in the middle of a rebuild, so I have to take the attitude that -- sure, we are trying to get young (while being efficient), but we won't ignore 30-year olds that still can contribute, and still have potential; We took that chance in acquiring players like Steve Pearce last season, acquiring him in a deal -- which I took that investment & traded him off for a couple younger players with talent & potential.

Shifting back to the BoS (Boys of Summer APBA Baseball League), we just voted on the All-Stars for this upcoming 2nd BoS All-Star Game (2014). We have been speeding along through our 2014 season (2013 MLB stats), we started this season later than I would have liked & but I feel we are making good time -- to fit in the playoffs & have an appropriate short off-season, I feel the 2015 BoS Season is looking at no later than June. 2016 BoS Season will be on-time, and be on a normal schedule (FINALLY, LOL!) -- the delayed seasons was due to the mess called APBA Online unfortunately, but I was fortunate to find the great owners that I have in this league through that site -- so I will definitely give them that!

For dice, I have put together a 1979 APBA Baseball Tournament, got a good jump on first round, have took a week off to work on my scouting, but plan to play a little more of that this month, which will also help me in getting ready for The Greater Michigan APBA Baseball Tournament that will be hosted by my friend, Rich Zawadski, in Jackson, MI on March 7th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...