Thursday, January 14, 2016

The Nutty Professor

So here is the continuation from the one of my last posts...

As I mentioned before, I have many APBA projects, that is no secret to all of you that follow my posts on this site. I am trying to get many of them or at least the biggest ones wrapped up, before doing any continuation with any of the others. It's kind of like when I was a kid, my mom used to always say, clean up your mess or pick up your toys before you move onto the next game (or project)...

So moms usually know best...

FINISHED

  • All-Time Franchise League - A league involving the original 26 franchises with their all-time best players (BATS1); The season was a 64-game season, that I started in late 2004 and finished in early 2008. The All-Time Chicago Cubs won the World Series over the All-Time Detroit Tigers; The Tigers defeated the Yankees in the A.L. East in a tie-breaker (Game #65). The Tigers swept Oakland in the ALCS, in which the Cubs went 7 games with the Giants in a NLCS classic. So... CUBS WIN, CUBS WIN! (check it out) .
  • Heritage Baseball League - The first season or I should say, season cut-short, ended with about 20 games. The league was BATS1 APBA cards with 2007 fringe relievers and some stars from that set, on 36 teams. The teams were old school team names or defunct team names of Baseball history or names that were similar. The Buffalo Bison went on to win a tournament to win the title. 
  • The 2007 DETROIT TIGERS Season Replay - The Season and playoffs has actually been completed, I just have not relayed the news of the results to my followers yet. We left off, with the Boston Red Sox winning the first two games of the 2007 ALCS at home against the Tigers. The Tigers return to Comerica Park in hopes of making it a series; The Detroit Tigers came back & defeated the Los Angeles Angels in the ALDS to face Boston.
  • The Amazing April Tournament (2014) - A March Madness single-game tournament involving 64 teams. The inaugural tournament's championship came down to the 1927 New York Yankees defeating the Cindarella - 1993 Philadelphia Phillies team.
  • Mid-West Baseball League & Mid-West Winter League - I resigned from both leagues, to give my computer league (The Boys of Summer APBA Baseball League) more needed attention. I felt that my last season in the both leagues were filled with distractions, and that I couldn't fully commit to either one of those leagues, it was not fair to my friend, who commissioned both leagues as well -- not to mention the fact that the league has waiting lists with eager owners waiting to make it into these two great leagues. My Traverse City Crusaders (MWBL) were improving each year, after a complete fire sale entering my first year, while my Traverse City Tigers (MWWL) won their division a few years ago, in their debut season, for the 1988 retro season. My goal is to eventually return, but that is all up to the Commissioner and myself, when that time comes.


IN THE PROCESS
  • Crazy 48's League - The Crazy 48's started in a strange way, I was in the middle of my "Tournament of Champions" tournament, which involves 64 teams in a March Madness-style bracket (but done with actual series, not single-games), involving the 60 GTOP teams provided in the GTOP I, II & III sets. I got plenty of the first round match-ups done, except for the games that involved the GTOP III set (that I have yet to purchase). Due to finances at the time & not being able to play those games yet, I decided that I would play the 40 GTOP teams that I did own, adding 8 other teams to the mix. The original name for the league was the Stars & Stripes League, which the individual leagues are still labeled as that, one Stars league & one Stripes league (in same sense as American & National). The "Crazy 48's" label came with the fact that it was a crazy, aggressive project by me & partially inspired by the Kill Bill movies ("Crazy 88's) , I made a schedule for about 156 games each for each team; The league was created in March 2013 and I would go on to play at least 24 games a week to about 30 games a week -- from March until October that year. I don't think I never played so many games in such a stretch, and I planned to continue that rate for about 3 years, my goal was to finish the league by the time I turned 40, in October 2016. Then I went to the Chicago World Series in Winter 2013, and then I was thinking about APBA BBW (Baseball for Windows) & then checked out the APBA Online League, and ended up starting & commissioning my own computer APBA Baseball League named The Boys of Summer APBA Baseball League. Then I joined two other computer leagues in the MWBL and MWWL. Safe to say, I ran into some time-eating projects that would eventually lead me to re-tinker the schedule to 48 games each -- The league is about to have its All-Star Game ("The Stars & Stripes Game") and then finish its last 20 games, involving all division match-ups to finish the season, which will make the divisions races even more interesting. The top 8 teams in each league move on to the playoffs, four division winners, and the next best 4 teams of each league. The division match-ups should spark new life into the league, and I should finish by the end of 2016 as originally planned (just with less games).
  • The 2007 DETROIT TIGERS Season Replay - The Season and playoffs is actually over & completed, I just have not relayed the news of the results to the site yet. We left off, with the Boston Red Sox winning the first two games of the 2007 ALCS at home against the Tigers. The Tigers return to Comerica Park in hopes of making it a series; The Detroit Tigers came back & defeated the Los Angeles Angels in the ALDS to face Boston.
  • The Amazing April Tournament (2015) - I was going to skip the tournament in 2015, due to my computer league obligations and my trip for the GMABT tournament in Jackson. Then on my two days off in mid-April, we lost internet, and I quickly started the tournament anyways. The tournament than got sidelined, but I have recently got the tourney down to the Sweet Sixteen.
  • The Boys of Summer APBA Baseball League (Computer) - will always be "In the process", it's a league with 16 individual team owners (friends) that compete year after year for the BoS World Championship. It's a keepers league with year-to-year drafts, with rosters trimmed down each season to a degree with free agents -- The Annual Draft involves both rookies and free agents. We are about to wrap up our third season, and have had two World Championship teams in the South Shore Fighting Imps (Bill Gilliam) and the Fairgrove Tigers (Robert Mosher). This season has had the tightest playoff races in league history and are going down to the wire as we speak. 
  • The BoS APBA Baseball League Statistical Database - An on-going project of logging all the league's all-time career statistics for players, pitchers, managers & team histories.
  • The ALTERNATE 1993 BBW Project - It's a computer league in an alternate 1993 in which expansion stopped with the Mariners & Blue Jays, and where no Florida Marlins, Colorado Rockies & eventually no Arizona Diamondbacks or Tampa Bay Rays. The players from those "expansion teams" would be drafted year-after-year, and those players will serve their new teams during their actual stints with those "expansion teams". For the computer files, I also go with the rosters the seasons ended with, so that made Gary Sheffield a Marlin, in which there was no Marlins in the alternate world, making him a free agent for the draft. The Los Angeles Dodgers had the worst overall record in real-life 1992, which gave them the first overall pick in which they drafted Sheffield. Some other recognizable faces -- The Mets drafted Andres Galarraga, the Royals took Dante Bichette, Vinny Castilla is with the Angels, while the Phillies added Bryan Harvey to an all-ready tough bullpen. The season is at it's All-Star Break with big trades that took place -- Check out the latest (click here) .
  • The 2015 TRANSACTION BBW League - A computer league that starts on opening day each season with the computer file APBA teams in place, with up-to-date actual MLB transactions, basically a replay with a twist. The 2014 Transaction (2013 MLB Season files, but 2014 final rosters) season ended with the Boston Red Sox winning it over the St. Louis Cardinals -- the same two teams that faced off against one another in the 2013 MLB World Series.
  • WORLD SERIES Replays (BBW) - World Series replays, thanks to APBA's World Series disks of every World Series teams, involving teams from 1901, 1902, 1904 & 1994. Bought 11 disks for a deal on the site worth $60! -- Currently in the middle of the 1904 World Series.
SMALLER DEALS (in the Process)

With no time line destination
  • I have a computer BATS2 Season going, about 12 games through, will eventually finish -- A one-shot deal to finish at around 162 games (no following seasons to be done).
FUTURE IDEAS 
  • The DEBUT League  - Players play with their MLB teams that they made their MLB debuts with, I have done this in the past, with 2011 & doing it again with 1993. For example, my God, so many good relievers made their debuts with the Mets, think about that one -- Also could you imagine the Mets in the mid-1980s in a DEBUT LEAGUE format, with Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan, Mike Scott and Ron Darling in the rotation?
  • The STATE of MIND League - Players placed in the states that they were born, and teams duke it out.
  •  A possible World Baseball Classic tournament with players playing for their respective countries.
So many things to do, in so-little time, and its because of all these things that I feel like a nutty professor of sorts, when it comes to APBA.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...