Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Gotham Rising?

As I have reported earlier this month, I have joined a Fantasy Baseball League with some friends from high school on ESPN. The name of my team is the Gotham City Rogues (yes, a shout-out to Batman) I lost the first two week match-ups, both by a hair -- resulting in a 0-2 record; I finally won my first match-up this past week, by just 9 points! Plus even better, I beat the undefeated 2-0 team to do it.

Are we back in the thick of it?

Well, not quite... But we are getting there. I still happen to be getting banged up, apparently my new pickup in Archie Bradley took a line-ball to the face -- suffering Sinus Cavity damage to the face, but is in good spirits.





INJURIES

I have of course had injuries to Yan Gomes, Alex Cobb, Anthony Rendon, and Jose Fernandez. Since then, I released Gomes, while waiting patiently on the other three -- Those three will bring me big points down the stretch.

My other catcher was Devon Mesoraco (who was also banged up & missing time), he brought me a big whopping one point in three weeks! So I released him for Russell Martin, who in the last few days seems to be slowly breaking out of his slump, plus in that Toronto lineup will bring in plenty of runs & ribbies, regardless of his batting average.

Familia already has logged 9 saves, a nice addition to a team that already has Craig Kimbrel.

IMPROVEMENTS

I made some big free agent splashes by picking up Devon Travis, Collin McHugh, Lorenzo Cain, Carlos Martinez & Jeurys Familia. While saying good bye to dead weight such as Shin-Soo Choo, Homer Bailey, Steve Pearce, and Rusney Castillo (on DL).

Upgraded from Wade Davis that led to Brian Boxberger (who then got released for) to Familia. Henderson Alvarez suddenly missed a start, and I quickly went to McHugh.

Could Adeiny Hechavarria be my latest free agent steal? I jumped on the opportunity.

MIDDLE INFIELD

I think I got better over all, I added Alcides Escobar, a few weeks back, while I just added Adeiny Hechavarria, especially in case Alexei Ramirez never gets it together. When Anthony Rendon returns, somebody from the middle infield will be out of a job. Travis & Escobar are safe, I could cut one of my outfielders, but the two that I would even consider releasing are Gregory Polanco and Marcell Ozuna -- and I feel they have too much upside. So Alexei's time may be running out. I feel even releasing Alexei, and already Erick Aybar -- I will be better up the middle regardless how this all plays out.

TRADE OFFERS

I recently got a offer for Collin McHugh in exchange for two players, SP-Doug Fister & 2B/OF-Jason Kipnis -- a year ago, this deal would have gone down. But this season? Kipnis is not upgrading my 2B situation with Travis playing like an All-Star, and the future return of Rendon. Fister is not having as good a season as McHugh, and their projections before the season only have Fister averaging a point more per game. I also got a offer for my Max Scherzer this week, but he's my ace, it was a good offer, Robinson Cano -- but Scherzer has already brought in about 35% more points to this point of the season.

STRUGGLING

I have a few guys who have struggled in Andrew McCutchen -- he cut the dreads & he's playing mediocre, sure he's been playing hurt, but I hope this was not a Sampson result (in a biblical sense), like McCutchen lost his power suddenly. Gio Gonzalez could be better, considering his numbers before 2014, or is this a trend for Gio? Todd Frazier's batting average is down to .239, I think he could be better. I feel if some of my players improve, I can really make a good run at this, especially now with my great free agent pickups.

ROTATION
Scherzer: The Rogues' ace.

At one point after the draft, I felt I could have been stronger, now I am liking where I am. I drafted Max Scherzer and James Shields, and they have done as expected of them -- Scherzer is averaging 19.5 points an outing, while Shields is averaging 17.8.

The huge surprise has been Chris Archer, sure we all knew he was going to be a good one, but he's my biggest scorer on the whole entire team, already recording 109 points! Averaging 21.9 ppg. So now we are talking Scherzer, Shields, Archer, add McHugh (16.8 ppg) & Carlos Martinez (16.8). Archie Bradley, by the way, averaging 14.0 ppg -- hopefully he won't be out long with the injury to the face. I also have Alex Cobb and Jose Fernandez already on the DL, so it all depends how long Bradley will be out for, someone at some point is going to lose their job to either Cobb or Fernandez.

BULLPEN

My two relievers after the draft, was the best stud at the position in Craig Kimbrel, plus Minnesota's Glen Perkins. It didn't take long for me to release Perkins, once I realized that the Twins are in no close range of putting him in Saves situations, so I signed Brian Boxberger of Tampa momentarily, and I was happy with that pickup -- Tampa will be in many close games. I was happy with that until I saw that the N.L. Saves leader Jeury Familia was available, so I made the quick upgrade before someone else did.

OUTLOOK

Quite better after the first two weeks, I really think I have many solid areas now moving forward. It's a long year though, and as quick as it takes to get suddenly excited -- it can also turn to quick disappointment, plus it all depends when to strike when a player is hot.

Currently: 1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...