Monday, April 27, 2015

Double Impact Devon

Young Devon Travis has made an immediate impact in the Majors for the Toronto Blue Jays. Travis was acquired by the Blue Jays from Detroit in exchange for outfielder Anthony Gose. As a Tigers fan, I hate the trade overall, even though Gose will bring a defensive/speed element to the Tigers, he's a role player overall compared to Travis, who will be a future All-Star (if not this season), while he's making an early bid for American League Rookie-of-the-Year. 

Travis was supposed to be the Tigers' future star second baseman, the heir apparent to Ian Kinsler. Now he is Toronto's gem, batting .359, with 5 HR's & 16 RBI; His On-Base Percentage is .414, while his OPS is an astounding 1.102! Now we all know he won't keep going at this strong rate, but one thing is for sure, this kid can flat out play.

Precisely why I drafted him in the 2014 MWBL Draft, a league which you can draft guys before they reach the Majors, and you own that player if they make their Major League debut within 3 years, which makes me the proud owner of Mr. Travis. 

I drafted him 46th overall (2nd Round), after I lost out on drafting Rougned Odor and Mookie Betts (who was moving from 2nd out to the OF anyways). I do have a strong second baseman in Brian Dozier, who lifted his OBP in 2014 for the Twins. I acquired Dozier in the Matt Holliday trade with the Coconut Creek Crushers. My middle infield went from weak to full of potential now, with Danny Santana moving back to his natural shortstop position in Minnesota, plus my 2015 MWBL Draft picks in Aldaberto (Raul) Mondesi, Jr. & Franklin Barreto

Now the double impact of Devon is this, for my fantasy baseball team, the Gotham City Rogues, I picked up Devon Travis on the first day after his MLB debut, in which he hit a HR. My regular 2B Anthony Rendon has been on the disabled list, and I cut Erick Aybar to get Travis. Travis & Rendon will stay with Rendon's return, while Alcides Escobar will likely be my shortstop, making Alexei Ramirez the odd man out; Ramirez is well-known to be a cold starter to seasons, but my patience is running thin on him. I could keep him in the utilities area, but that might be needed for Marcell Ozuna, the OF from Miami, and I believe he will soon be hitting some HR's.

By the way, my team finally won a weekly match-up against the first-place team, making my record 1-2, now -- just edging our competition by 9 points!

Now it's time for my new pickup in Archie Bradley of Arizona to make a Devon Travis impact on my fantasy team!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...