Wednesday, April 2, 2014

That's How I Roll!

My position placement above.
Recently on the APBA Facebook Group, my friend Pastor Rich Zawadzki was curious on how APBA Players play their APBA Board Games & APBA Master Games, on placement of cards, the way they do their envelopes... basically, their style of playing the fun game.

So I took the time, took some pictures of how I do things, while I play the game.

Position Placement
First, if I don't normally play the teams, I place them in nine spots usually, and have C,1B,2B on top row, SS, 3B, DH/SP in second row, and the OF spots in the last row. I choose the players I want to start out of each position. With the Crazy 48's dice league & teams that I usually use, I have an idea on the most part who is going to start, and how the lineup will roll. With new teams, for example earlier in the day I played the 1940 Detroit Tigers for the first time, so I went to Baseball Reference.com to get an idea of what the usual starting lineup looked like for that team.

After the lineups, 1993 Phillies (road) at 1995 Indians.

After the Lineups
The way I lay the cards after doing the lineups, I place the lineup to the right side of the envelopes, teams are located top & bottom, by top team being the road team, bottom team being the home. The pitchers would be place on the team's envelopes during American League games, or games hosted by an American League team. For National League games or games hosted by a National League team, there would be no pitchers placed on the team envelopes; The pitchers would of course, be in the team's lineups. In this case above, the 1993 Phillies are at Cleveland to play the 1995 Indians (from the DH era), meaning both teams would be using the Designated Hitter rule.

Inside the envelopes, the pitchers are in back, batters up front.
Inside the Envelopes
Players are separated with hitters up front, and the pitchers in the back, starting pitchers that are in the rotation are usually flipped upside down with their blue backs/APBA logos facing you. Bullpen in far back, with rotation underneath....

Players that come out of the game are faced down in the envelope.

As the game goes on...
As the game goes on, substitutions are made, pinch-runners, pinch-hitters & pitching changes, everything that goes into a ballgame. The players that eventually come out, are faced down like the rotation pitchers, also along with injured players so that they are no used accidentally.

You may have noticed that there is a gold star sticker on Dave Winfield's card (above), I do that for all Hall of Fame players. I purchase the stars at Michael's, usually. Which reminds me, I have to update Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux & Frank Thomas' cards.

Bottom right corners are labeled: Mulholland & Dykstra of the 1993 Phillies.

Bottom Labels
I label all my cards on the bottom right corners usually, so in case I do leagues with players from all different seasons. I do this, because there are some old APBA sets that don't have their cards labeled.

Anyways, that's how I roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...